I am so excited to want to go out and buy an apple tv for boxee, I'm like peeling out my skin. However, I told myself I'm not buying the hardware until I can figure out this patchstick thing for boxee. BTW, I'm only a tiny bit above average as far as tech savy....so I'll say it... I'm a newbie to this stuff. So I have my thumbdrive 1GB (SanDisks). I went to this site:
loaded the site and .win program and followed the following directions while failing at direction number 6. The USB image tool.exe will not open from step 5, and I don't know why!!!!! If any one does can they explain it in as plain english as possible? I have a Windows Home XP "vanillia" system. Nothing fancy (Compaq Presario 3200 Sempron).
Here are the steps:
1. Download this - http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com...in-1.0.b11.zip (updated by davilla)
2. Unzip this file, right click and go to extract to "atvusb-xxxxx\"
3. Open the folder and you should see another folder , open that folder and look for a file called: mk-atv-xbmc-ssh.bat
4. double click on mk-atv-xbmc-ssh.bat (this will start to download a file) and you should see a black box.. when the box goes away the download is completed.
5. Go back into the folder in step 3 -- and look for a file called "USB image tool.exe" and double click on it.
** vista users: make sure you run this as administrator -- right click on the "USB image tool.exe" and click on "Run as administrator"
6. Once its open, change it from "Volume mode" to "Device mode" -- if it is greyed out, that means your probably not running it as an administrator
7. At this point I inserted my USB thumb drive (a 512 attache PNY, it was my old patchstick, not formatted or anything).
8. If you look at the USB img tool window you will see your drive appear in the window, if not hit the rescan button. (mine said: USB 20x USB device)
9. Click on your drive (USB 20x USB device) to highlight it, then click on the Restore button.
10. It will ask you to choose a file, the file in the default folder should be called "atv-xbmc-ssh.img". Click on it, then hit open. It will then ask you do you want to restore the image? , click Yes
** if you get an error 3 -- that means you did not change the mode from volume to device.
** if you already had stuff on your USB stick and your using vista, it will say that vista needs to blah blah and error 2 -- just remove and reinsert the USB stick and go back to step 8 and do it again, it will work the second time around.
11. Wait for the green line to finish the image restore............ took ~2 mins, and the green line went away.
12. remove stick and turn off ATV (pull out plug)
13. insert stick and turn on ATV (plug in)
if all went well the ATV orange light should blink a bit, a penguin should appear on your screen then a bunch of text scrolling up and down the screen. then viola! boxee!!
Oh and for people who havent done this before, you know your done when you see a line like Username: frontrow Password: frontrow on your tv, not only is that your ssh username/pass but its also sign that you can pull out your usb stick and unplug and plug in your ATV.
Again, hope this helps! And many thanks and props goes out to all the devlopers who make this possible!
FOLLOW UP: ( i did not try it out with the new updated link on step 1 )
When i restarted my ATV and tried to run boxee all i would get is a black screen, even when trying to update. so i looked around and saw that some people were getting results if they rebooted a second time... so thats what i did.. still no luck black screens all over.. this is a recurring problem and should be fixed in the next launcher update!
In the end--- i couldnt wait so i followed these instructions and they worked like a charm
Any help would let me continue my venture to get this darn patchstick made. BTY, I did not even know what a patchstick was until 2 days ago.....but i'm learning with your help.