BOXEE+HACKS, a set of extensions for the default Boxee UI to enable a host of new features:
What does it look like?
Currently at 1.4.5
- Adds the Music section back to the Home screen
- Enable/disable icons on the Home screen
- Replace built-in features such as Movies with apps like Netflix or Vudu
- Adds fan art for TV Shows and Movies
- Adds movie Studio labels on the Movie details page
- Customise the icons listed on the Home screen
- Overlays for 3D movies and Concerts
- New (optional) subtitle search system
- Change the featured content on the Home screen
- More view modes (fan art based carrousel and tiny poster mode)
- New music visualisations
- Access Weather app directly from the home screen
- Growl Notification Plugin for Mac
- Option to automatically select the last unwatched episode of a TV Show
- Super fancy credits screen
- Faster HD streaming
- Better VPN performance (MTU tweak)
- Faster UI
- FTP access to your mounted drives
- Block forced updates (hopefully)
- Access to a bunch of advanced settings
- New APIs
Installation is reasonably simple. Just download the package, copy the install files to a USB drive named "BOXEE", enable file sharing, and enter a special install string into your Boxee Box's hostname. After you've installed you can use the update system in the new settings menu.
The full set of instructions and the download can be found at:
If you run into any issues, first read the FAQ:
The software is completely Open-Source and you are free to make your own modifications. You can fork the project on GitHub.
If you find bugs, or have feature requests, please add them as issues on GitHub. That helps keep track of requests a lot better than we can do through the forum.
Also we can only change certain parts of the Boxee application, since we don't have access to certain core parts of the software. This means that not everything is possible.
Finally, to figure out how to use certain features, check out the Wiki. There isn't much there yet, but this will change over the course of the next few days.
Any questions? Make sure to check the FAQ first!
@GTVHackers for finding the original hack to allow this mod
@Ronald for providing the initial version of the new 9x3 view mode
@Jerbob92 for a lot of work on the subtitle system and various other cool improvements
@Mike3y @D4yz @Cigamit @Winedog for various other tweaks and improvements
And thanks to everyone else who helped getting this project this far
- Version 1.4.5 - Stability fixes for fanart! Added pandora to home screen options. Friends can be replaced with apps. And minor fixes and stability improvements
- Version 1.4.1 - A small fix for some icons not showing up in certain cases
- Version 1.4.0 - The big one! Adds more home screen customisations. More fan art stuff. A brand new carrousel view mode. Direct access to the weather app on the home screen. Auto jump to last unwatched episode of a Show. Growl Notification plugin. New plugin system and APIs for developers.
- Version 1.3.4 - VPN fixes (finally working)
- Version 1.3.1 - Missing VPN settings added back in + fixes small issue with layout of menu with LiveTV
- Version 1.3.0 - Undertexter.se support, Movie Studio labels, enable/disable any home screen icon, new visualisers, access mounted drives through ftp, set the browser homepage in settings, revamped B+ settings, flat folder fanart support for TV Shows, cleaner movie filename display, credits, MTU tweak now works, browser crashes fix, and many more tweaks, bugfixes and enhancements
- Version 1.2.2 - honest to goodness updater!, more options for replacing the "recent" list on the home screen + more subtitle improvements
- Version 1.2.1 - fixes the "recent" list on the home screen, and some issues with the subtitles.