IR Suite is a third alternative to make your MCE Remote work with Boxee. Unfortunately, I couldn't get LM Remote to work so I digged up this good'ld app that worked with xbmc.
Alternative MCE remote threads
1. Boxee with Windows MCE Remote Control [ LM Remote ]
2. Ultimate guide [ Event Ghost ]
IR Suite download link
In the zip-file there is a MCE Remote driver. You can use this driver to update current driver. * I'd only recommend this, after a fresh install of windows with no 3rd party utilities installed yet.
Install .NET Framework 2.0. (they suggest 3.5 in the previous guide, however 2.0 should do).
install IR Server Suite - Test Build 18.104.22.1681.exe
- provided in attached zip file.
- make sure to only check the "input service"
Screenshot of IR configuration
Configure the IR Server Suite.
- click the MS MCE remote as device.
- then set the advanced MCE settings:
# Input Service Configuration:
- Microsoft MCE
- Boxes Receive and Transmit are both checked
- Learn IR timeout : 10.000
- Disable Windows Media Center services (check)
- All others are grayed out.
- Enable remote control input (check)
- Disable automatic buttons (check) (this makes the mute and volume buttons work)
- use system keyboard rate settings (uncheck)
- Enable keyboard input (check)
- Handle keyboard locally (check)
- Use system keyboard rate settings (check)
- Use Qwertz Layout (uncheck)
- Enable mouse input (check)
- Handel mouse locally (check)
This is a pretty nifty part. We now use a CMD file (batch file) to start up Boxee. This batch will check that the IR server suite is runnig, and if not starts it up. To install, copy the contents of the Boxee folder in the zip-file to your program files.
- now start up Boxee with the CMD file called: "start boxee with MCE remote support.cmd"
- possibly create shortcuts to the CMD file.