March 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
finally got my boxee back on apple tv 1
hi can i post how a did it?
March 31st, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm curious. Go right ahead... thats what forums are for, sharing knowledge & experiences.
March 31st, 2012, 08:46 PM
I would really like to know if anyone has found a Windows solution to adding Boxee. I had done this Patchstick with two other Apple TVs and always Boxee was included no problem.
April 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
get back your boxee
Installing boxee on ATV 1st Gen
I finally decided to bork my ATV and start over to see if boxee beta can be installed on the atv even though Launcher will no longer download and install. The good news is that I was able to install boxee relatively easily. Instructions are in my signature, the big difference is that you ned to manually install the boxee.app into the root /Applications folder NOT ~/Frontrow/Applications.
You may need to update permissions, but I can and will post instructions to this thread later tonite.
I still suggest you use XBMC, but for those who love boxee beta, its good news.
Update: Overview (Detailed are in my signature)
1. Factory Restore (Assuming you have to). - Once restore update to 3.0.2 via GENERAL>UPDATE SOFTWARE.
2. Run Patchstick (Im assuming you know what this is) - Latest please !
3. Once re-booted into the familiar Frontrow, Update to Launcher 3.2.5 from LAUNCHER>DOWNLOADS.
4. Install NitoTV via ssh (Terminal or puTTY) - See my signature.
5. Once Frontrow Reboots, Nito appears. Run Smart Installer (It will download the 10.4.9 dmg) - Needed for USB access.
6. Copy OS.dmg (coreaudio) into ~/Frontrow/Documents. Run Smart Installer again. AFP, FTP enabled now.
7. Download and unpack boxee beta on your mac (see my signature). Using sftp (cyberduck) copy boxee.app into the root Applications folder; /Applications NOT NOT NOT ~/Frontrow/Applications.
If you receive a permissions issue, ssh in and issue the following;
sudo mount -uw /
sudo touch /.readwrite
Try again. Should be 775 or 777.
You can install Flash from Nito. Install XBMC. You can Run Boxee from within Launcher. It will create its own userdata folder.
Its a good idea to have the recovery.dmg installed within Nito and install OS.dmg. In order for flash to be installed from nito, you need to have the coreaudioframework bits installed, which are thankfully provided by the recovery.dmg that gets installed from within nito.
dont forget to do the permissions part you can use winscp(its for windows) you login in with your ip address and the user name frontrow password
frontrow then the boxee app has to be in your root folder then right click the boxee app and set premissons to either 775 or 777 then it will upload the boxee app to the right spot and then you can launch boxee threw the launcher there isnt no more a boxee menu its in the launcher menu
April 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
hi also this posts from nuggyblake so we all should thank him.
when i had a issue launching boxee threw the launcher i got the error
xbmc/boxee message , to correct that massage if you run into it
is to use winshp or cyberduck and then find the boxee app in root/applications
and right click the app and at the bottom it put either 775 or 777
then it uploads the app (has something to do for permissions issues)
the other link i posted can help too