LiveTv hooked up and installed. I've been excited about this for a long time. I am hooked up through cable, not antennae. I was really hoping for an out-of-the-box ability to replace the hated CableTV Company Guide .... but BoxeeTv is not there yet. A few issues/comments to put out there if anyone has a response:
1) LiveTV does not seem to work if boxee is logged out. (internet connection "disrupted") I need to split the incoming cable between Tv and Boxee to avoid disruptions due to network hogging by bittorrent.
2) Common TV channels not receiving a schedule, or receiving the wrong schedule (i.e. TBS, some PBS stations, etc). I cannot find any way to force a schedule into a channel. It seems this should be a critical feature that Boxee should work on. Having 1/3 - to - 1/2 of channels with "no data" or wrong data in the schedule kind of defeats the main draw of BoxeeTV.
3) Not having a way to control the volume is highly annoying, as others have noted.
4) The picture on some channels is "over scanning" (or something), pushing the edges off the TV. even the boxee GUI is pushed off the edge.
5) Cannot figure out how to manually input a channel number. i.e. channel "02." Boxee also gives the channels non-standard numbers like "2.1," "5.1," "83.5," etc.
6) It would be nice for the controlled to be able to do basic, standard TV functions like "go to last channel"
7) No apparent way to label or categorize favorite channels. create favorite channel lists, etc. Pretty standard features with TVs and Cable Company Guides.
8) No "search" feature in liveTv mode.
9) No reminder or watch later feature in LiveTV.
10) Miscellaneous issues with duplicate channels being picked up, some with schedule data, some with not ... but this is not really a boxee issue and requires some work to straighten out. I had hoped that boxee would recognize duplicate channels based upon duplicate schedules ... and be able to alert the user to ease in sorting it all out ... the fact that it is not acquiring all channel schedule data is a big barrier to this functionality.
I general I was kind of expecting the boxee LiveTv to at the least replicate a cable tv company's guide features .... but it is far, far from being able to replace the functionality of a cable tv's guide.
My biggest issue is this the channel schedule data ... there should be some way to force it (rather than just give the user an option to copy tje schedule from a duplicate channel).
Of course .. the release is a few days old and i have faith that boxee will catch up, replace, and surpass the cable tv guide.