I rarely post on this forum but I thought I would share my experience with those who are interested.
Like a lot of others with Boxee Box's and Windows 7 I recently experienced the loss of my shared folders when the Boxee updated to version 1.2.
I have owned the Boxee Box since Dec 2010 and to this point have never had an issue with mapping shares or accessing my local files through the windows 7 network SMB. But when the Boxee updated to version 1.2 I lost them all and this is how I fixed the problem.
Home Computer running Windows 7 Home Premium (x64bit) recently updated with Windows 7 SP1.
Boxee Box Firmware 184.108.40.20639 Hard Wired to Cisco router.
Steps I took to get SMB Shares Back:
Using the Boxee Box
1. Loaded the updated Boxee firmware from this site
New Beta Firmware 220.127.116.1139 (20th August)
2. Reset all settings in the Network Settings of the boxee
3. Went to -- > System --> Network Settings --> Windows SMB --> Input - user name and password and made sure I had the correct WORKGROUP name to match what I use on my windows 7 computer.
On my Windows 7 Computer:
1. Removed all of my shared folders from my network. I read about all of the different ways to set permissions and how to setup shares and I thought the best course of action would be to start fresh.
2. **Important Step** I was reading about the HOMEGROUP settings of Windows 7 and how it affects Network Shares and I think this is the area in which the Boxee Box and Windows 7 are having issues. When the Boxee updates to 1.2 it somehow looses communication with the HOMEGROUP.
3. I removed or "left" the HOMEGROUP on my windows 7 computer. Then I made sure I removed all my shared drives. At this point I rebooted the computer.
4. Now I started fresh. I added all of my Shared drives back to my network using Windows explorer ---> right clicking on the parent folders that I wanted to share ---> choose Advanced Shareing Options ---> check the box "share this folder" ---> Give it an appropriate name --> and select apply. DONE this will setup all your shares to work on the network. Make sure that "EVERYONE" is included in the permissions.
5. **Important Step** after I finished adding my shares I wanted to see if they appeared on the Boxee. What I found was interesting. When I went to FILE SORCE on the boxee and scrolled down to Windows SMB nothing came up at this point. My Computer name was not listed, no shares were listed, the only option was to input IP/HOST Name Manually.
6. **Important Step** this is where I got to thinking about the WINDOWS HOMEGROUP. To this point I was not connected to the homegroup as I “left” it earlier. I think this is a key to solving the problem. I went back to the computer and went to NETWORK SETTINGS… A clicked on “JOIN A HOMEGROUP” this prompted me to select which types of files folders I wanted to include and then select OK.
7. After step 6 I rebooted the computer, rebooted the boxee. I then went to Boxee Settings - File Source - Windows SMB and BANG my computer was listed, selected my computer on the boxee smb and all my shared folders were listed, I can now navigate to any file or folder that is being shared.
I think the key to this whole thing for me was after the Boxee Updated to 1.2, the SMB shares got screwed up by the HOMEGROUP link. “LEAVING” the HOMEGROUP I was assigned to, removing my shares, then rebooting, adding new shares, and joining a NEW HOMEGROUP then rebooting computer and boxee was the ticket.
I hope this helps others . I now have full access to all my shares, can add shares whenever I want and they show up on the boxee box with the latest firmware.