I had a SMB issue for quite some time, but it was resolved in a recent frmw release - are you using the latest frmw v111.19092
Are all of the Network settings set properly in the BBox's Settings/Network/Servers & SMB client -- is 'WORKGROUP' being displayed/shown as the Workgroup
Are you sure there is no UPnP server running on your network - W7 has it's own built in UPnP server -- in your BBox, check "Files/Network/UPnP" - if a UPnP server is listed, disable it and try to play one of the MKVs again
Verify you have followed the above. Post a debug log as well when attempting to play one of the mkv files in question.If your file share is on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 machine:
1) Ensure your network interface is marked as 'home'. Windows ties a huge amount of state in file sharing support and firewall configuration to the network type.
2) Ensure you either have guest access enabled and your file shares are marked as readable by everyone, or that you have your folders shared by a specific user account you can enter on your boxee box.
3) In your networking settings, make sure that file sharing is enabled; this should be set by default if your network interface is set to home, but it may be disabled on accident
4) If possible, browse your network using explorer (open an explorer pane, go to the lower left and select network, then choose your workgroup - which is probably 'WORKGROUP' or 'MSHOME' - make sure your machine shows up there)
5) If you are using user accounts, you may need to ensure that security on the folders and files you are accessing allows 'everyone'. It is worth noting that if you configure a homegroup, file permissions are set correctly for your files.
6) Very important - it is worth noting that the security access on shares can show one thing in the 'share ...' section and a completely different thing in 'advanced settings' -> 'permissions' section. You need to ensure that both of these sections are aligned, otherwise you may get access denied issues.
Still seems like a file permission issue, but gmd may be onto something. I don't believe Windows 7 uPnP supports mkv (which would give that media accessible error when attempting to play)...although you have connected via SMB (correct?)...
"Are all of the Network settings set properly in the BBox's Settings/Network/Servers & SMB client -- is 'WORKGROUP' being displayed/shown as the Workgroup:"
WORKGROUP is displayed on my pc. Is it meant to be displayed on Boxee?
I am not using uPnP.
Whether you are using UPnP or not, the reason I mentioned to look for a 'running' UPnP server is because UPnP server's have been known to interfere with SMB shares on the BBox - whether the server is actually being used or not can still be a problem if it's enabled - so without checking to see if one is running/enabled (possibly the W7 UPnP server) on your network, this 'might' possibly be the cause of your issue
Here's what I did
a. Right click on the folder and go to properties.
b. Now browse to the security tab.
c. Click on advanced under Permission for SYSTEM.
d. Below the option change permissions place a checkmark next to Include inheritable permissions from this objects parent.
Plus there is an EXTRA check box allowing to override and child permissions. This WAS NOT checked.
Thank you for all your help guys! Pure Awesomeness......
Note: This is a users' community forum. For official support, submit a Support Request.
You can also find out how to Get Help or read the Boxee TV and Boxee Box Documentation.
SageTV Server 7.1.x w/Gemstone and Plex Home Theater v0.9.9.7.146 w/PlexPass
HD-PVR w/v1.5.6 drivers / Hauppauge IR blaster / FiOS Extreme HD / Motorola QIP6200 / SPDIF+720p Fixed Output
on HP Media Center 8400F (Phenom 9500 QuadCore 2.2GHz, nVidia GeForce 8500 GT)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.7.22 on HP Touchsmart 600-1105xt
Sonos Play:3, Connect / Simple.TV / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
"Some people just aren't happy unless they're disappointed or angry."
Glad to hear that you fixed your issue - Stream On!!
Good to hear.
You may want to add your problem and solution to this thread also http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22107
Running Boxee Box firmware: 18.104.22.16835