Boxee Box works perfectly for a while (less than 30 mins) and then gets tired and can't play local files well or at all. On some days it doesn't play any local files, even on fresh boot first thing in the morning.
I preordered my boxee box from Amazon. I've experienced some bugs along the way, but the newest firmware helped most of that. But for the last three weeks, my boxee has been completely unusable for local videos (which is 95% of the reason I bought this box).
Basically, boxee will work perfectly (ie. can stream 720p video over wireless from a drobo connected to my mac mini with no issues) for about 30 minutes each day. And then it will start choking on everything. Boxee will start having trouble browsing folders (little blue donut spins for minutes and then just quits), will freeze when trying to load a video, or will play a few seconds of the video and then buffer forever.
NOTHING changed on my network or home setup three weeks ago. Since then, in fact, I've upgraded my network and switched to wired connection because I thought that maybe I was getting wireless interference.
I didn't want to believe that the boxee was the problem, so I spent a lot of money and time troubleshooting. Please see below.
I'm willing to try any ideas you have. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm covering old ground. I've tried searching the forums and JIRA.
here is what I've done to troubleshoot (and how I've been able to isolate this issue to boxee):
- Factory reset boxee
- Wiped media database
- Using latest firmware
- Bought a high end dual band wireless N router
- Connected the boxee and mac mini directly to the router with brand new gigabit cable and turned off the wireless network
- Attempted to play files from and external and internal drives on the mac mini (neither worked well, proving that it's not a problem with the hard drive)
- Attempted to play files from a brand new, freshly formatted eternal drive on the mac mini
- Used kismac to make sure there aren't any competing wireless networks
- Turned off/on upnp, changed wireless channels, moved the router around my apartment, etc
- Moved the local files to an SD card and plugged it into boxee. played all my 720p .mkv files perfectly off the SD card
My network setup:
drobo (firewire 800)----mac mini (with SMB guest sharing)----(gigabit)-----Netgear wndr3700-----(gigabit)-----boxee
other devices (like a laptop) can stream 5gb 720p videos wirelessly from the mac mini without stuttering, so I know this isn't a network speed issue.