Neat product. I purchased a BoxeeBox yesterday and I'm returning it. Here are the reasons why:
I'm not an open source user because I like pre-tested and designed applications by businesses that create a product for the user. The Boxee is neat, but it has changed too much of what I'm used too.
I want to plug it in, and it works. I don't have time to fiddle with it. If you want me to fiddle, pay me.
- There are more available apps in the windows version than boxeebox version. I want shoutcast or di.fm or an app to add my own sources. There is no good way to save radio stations and quickly begin playing them. I have created PLS and ASX and M3U files, but the boxee does not seem to read them correctly.
- I found a SomaFM app, but i needed to add a repo? Okay. So before i can begin typing, i need a very bright room because the letters are dark blue on black? Geez. So now i begin typing, looking at the keyboard and my laptop screen and putting in the repo URL. I hit ENTER and it says the repo is not found.. OPS i made a spelling mistake, it doens't bring me back to the text so i have to start ALL over .. Remote is about to go flying across the room, i just want music!
- The main home page has Friends, Water LAter, Shows, Movies, Apps, Files. But no music?
- Some of the "recommended" content on the home page is not viewable in canada
- I select my server media as a source for media (music and video), only 2973 out of 20,000 files were found. They are all mp3 because i have an ipod.
- I manually navigate to the share and attempt to look for a folder. With hundreds of folders, navigation is impossible. It takes minutes to scroll and there is no Page Up or Page Down on the remote. Even if there was, i wouldn't be able to see it without turning the bright lights on.
- I press the exit/back button when i'm in weather, but it brings me to the last weather tab i viewed. (i.e. i view hourly weather, then temp, then satelite view, press back and it brings me back to temp, then hourly weather,... then eventually out of the "app")
- Soma FM app (even though its not yours) crashes often, and i have to reboot the boxee by unplugging the power
- To get back to the "home" screen, i need to hit ~8 keystrokes on the remote.
- I enabled "web server" and when i visit it, i get an Access Error: Site or Page Not Found. Why even have the option?
- I can't select media from my phone or a web app? I need to have the tv on?
- There is a syslog option? Sure i know what it is, but why is it there for me? I just want a media player for videos. Don't give me syslog options but prevent me from logging into the OS shell.
- The buttons are centered on the remote. I sometimes pick it upside down and have to flip it around. It's quite annoying
- The Shuffle icon when playing music is backwards. It displays the option that you can select, not the current mode.
- I hold the right or left button down to scan FFWD or REV in a song, and it skips and when i let go it keeps scanning. Then the interface locks up for a bit
- Generally the interface is clunky. It doesn't have a fluid feel. There are many dead ends and no "one button click" to get to a common familiar area.
- In the file browser, if i start typing with the keyboard i want it to skip to that file, not search youtube for a video
So there are more but those are from teh top of my head.
I would keep this unit if i was able to easily add internet radio stations AND was able to page up/page down from the remote by pressing "left or right" in the file browser
The biggest flaw in this system is not being able to easily add internet radio stations. I figured if i saved them to a folder as ASX or PLS files that it would load. Why doesn't it? That would at least make it possible.
A web app for configuration of sources, repos, etc would be REAL nice so we don't have to use the keyboard on that little remote.