December 23rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
lots of problems finding movie titles
I am having lots of problems with my boxee box finding the correct movie titles. I have followed the instructions for naming all of my movies according to the documentation as movie.name.(year).mkv but I am just having no luck. Many of the titles are very common movies (not obscure independent films) - such as Avatar and boxee cannot look it up properly.
I have about 300 blu-ray's that I have digitized to my NAS and I would be ok with it if I just had to manually go in and find the movie one time, but that doesn't seem to work either. A buddy of mine who also has a boxee box has many of the same movies and has tried to help me but without luck.
If I go into the unidentified movies, there is a giant list of movies. I select one and when I choose identify, the correct movie is (almost) always listed first, it finds the movie, I select it and choose DONE. This seems to do nothing and the movie is still not listed in the list of movies within boxee -- I have also tried ADD PARTS with the same bad results.
Does anyone have any suggestions? This combined with another problem with my boxee box make this an almost worthless device. The other problem is completely unrelated and I will post in another thread so the two topics do not get confused.
Last edited by t001z; December 23rd, 2010 at 11:42 PM.
Reason: added link to other problem
December 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM
a little bit more...
One more thing on this problem. In several cases, boxee is pulling the wrong information/movie name from IMDB even though there should be no confusion. A perfect example of this is Kung Fu Panda (my filename is kung.fu.panda.(2008).mkv) and it is finding the movie as Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom which comes out in 2011 or 2012.
December 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Strange. As far as I'm aware, neither of the problems you're describing happen to most people. I will say that there are some quirky movie identification problems, but they're usually pretty isolated cases. The vast majority of your movies should identify properly if they're named according to the standard.
The first thing I would try is removing your local sources and then it wiping out your db from the Boxee Box settings menu. Then you can add your sources again and rebuild your db from scratch. I think it's under either "system" or "Advanced".
As a last resort, you can try doing a factory reset of the Boxee Box and then do a manual firmware update to make sure everything installs properly and to make sure you get rid of any lingering bugs.
Last edited by Prospero424; December 24th, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
Video encoding guide for compatibility\maximum quality
Router: Netgear WNR3500L with latest Toastman Tomato Firmware
Server: Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.67Ghz), Geforce 9550GS, 3GB RAM, Server 2008 R2, Wired Ethernet
Boxee Box latest firmware, Wired Ethernet
Secondary HTPC (Garage): Athlon X2 3800+ (2Ghz), Geforce 9500GT, 2GB RAM, Win 7 x64, 802.11n, Boxee 0.9.23.15885
Main Workstation: Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5Ghz), BFG Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 OC, 4GB RAM, Win 7 x64, 802.11n, Boxee 0.9.23.15885
December 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks, I did remove the local source and wipe out the DB -- I have tried this a few times but no change in the result.
I will try a factory reset and firmware update (manual) -- it shows that I am using the latest 1.02xxx. This may take care of my other problems I am having as well. I will post back once boxee has a chance to rescan my sources.
December 24th, 2010, 01:26 AM
This (resetting to factory reset) seems to have made a huge difference in discovering movies and now when I choose to identify a movie, it shows it right away as "disappearing" from the "unidentified" list and now shows up in the movie list.
It is also now recognizing my TV shows and putting them all under a single heading for each specific show. Before it would show one show (actually as a movie) then 10 or more play buttons under that.
Thanks for the tip!
Tags for this Thread