I have a large collection of hires and DTS surround sound music on my NAS, but unfortunately Boxee Box is not able to play a large portion of it, or does not play it correctly. A lot of this functionality has been working solidly in XBMC for years, so it appears to have been removed from BB.
Here's a list of issues I've encountered so far:
- No .cue sheet support
- 44.1khz DTS audio does not route via HDMI passthrough, it's always converted by BB to PCM (although 48Khz DTS audio routes correctly via passthrough)
- Multi-channel .flac files do not output sound if 44.1Khz; 96Khz works, but is output as stereo
- DTS encoded audio in a .flac file container only outputs 'DTS static'
- The AUDIO_TS portion of a ripped DVD-Audio disk is not recognized - to be frank, I never expected BB to support this since XBMC doesn't either
- Menu navigation during VIDEO_TS playback of a ripped DVD appears to be broken - once an album is started there's no apparent way to skip to the next song or up to the main menu
- While navigating samba (over LAN) directories while a multi-channel song is playing, there is significant stutter each time a new directory is navigated
- No milkdrop visualizer
- BB is unable to identify and catalogue my music collection despite it being organized very clearly by "Artist/Album/Song.wav"
In terms of priority I'd rank the top 3 like this:
- cue sheet support
- 44.1Khz DTS pass-through
- multi-channel .flac playback
If you're an audiophile please show your support here and vote on the Jira tasks linked above to let the developers know.