Some initial impressions after almost of week of boxee box goodness:
What I like: I love the interface, media support and all the preshipped apps. Definitely keeping it and will slowly recommend it to friends. Internet TV is the future and this device+software combination is awesome
Minor UI tweaks that I suggest:
- display the time (and perhaps date and weather) in the video/music/photo status view
- let me do random mode in the photo slide show
- let me do a recursive photo slide show and recursive music play lists in the file browser. This is handy for parties, etc. In the UI, you'd probably want to add an top-right icon ("play all sub directories") in the file browsing screen.
- for video, in the status view, display the resolution of the source video. This can either be something short like "480p" or you could display all the details (codec, bitrate, XY resolution) like the ps3 does - but that might be too much clutter.
- for video/audio, in the status view, display the number of channels ("5.1"), especially if its something other than 2.0. Alternativly, you could display more info like the ps3 does - but this might be too much clutter.
- make Sleep actually put the machine to sleep - ie. no fans (then again, if the point of this function is to keep the machine on, then perhaps rename it? "Sleep display" or something)
- save the last search results (perhaps as a tab in the Home menu)... retyping in search results just to try the next result is tedious
- the RSS reader app is pretty powerful... perhaps integrate it with the main interface?
- add a favorites/bookmarks system to the browser... this is handy for online video that's not yet converted to boxee apps
Thanks and keep up the good work!