as sdavilla works his magic, getting us all a 2.3 compliant atvusb-creator and launcher/updater, you can try the following to manually install boxee.
first, get latest and greatest atvusb-creator from http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/downloads/list
after making a usb stick, and booting the ATV with it, you should be able to ssh into the ATV:
- figure out the IP address of the ATV via Settings > General > Network, for this example, i will use 10.0.0.8.
- ssh to ATV
- mac/linux: use terminal and type
the password is frontrowCode:ssh firstname.lastname@example.org- windows: get putty, and connect to 10.0.0.8
- at the prompt, run the following commands, when asked for password, its frontrow:
Code:wget http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/files/XBMCLauncher-0.6-debug.run wget http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/tags/xbmc-info/scripts/launcher-update-0.6.sh sh launcher-update-0.6.sh XBMCLauncher-0.6-debug.run wget http://dl.boxee.tv/boxee-0.9.4277.dmg wget http://atv-xbmc-launcher.googlecode.com/svn/tags/boxee-info/scripts/alpha-0.9.4277_update.sh sh alpha-0.9.4277_update.sh boxee-0.9.4277.dmg sudo reboot
and presto, boxee is up and running.
new remote behavior:
- long "select" switches between now playing and ui
- long "menu" takes you home
- back on login screen takes you out
- with the update to 2.3, Apple broke a few things, one being the ability of the app to consistently appear in foreground. till this is figured out, if you run boxee, and get a black screen, you need to back out of boxee by clicking menu on the remote, and try launching boxee again.
- under some circumstances, if upgrading an older boxee install, the remote may not work under boxee. please reboot, ssh into the ATV, and do:
Code:rm -rf /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/BOXEE/UserData