I have been searching high and low to make my HTPC the ultimate entertainment device for my family... And wow, what a pain in the arse!!
First off, let me start by saying that Boxee is a great product, and after trying everything I could get my hands on, it is hands down the best in its class. But saying that, we haven't hit that sweet spot, just quite yet.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz / 3g RAM
NVidia Geforce 8600gt
52 Inch rear projection TV
Windows 7 Ultimate x32
So let me help by putting in my bug list:
1. Boxee crashes on shutdown frequently.
2. Boxee crashes on loading Netflix sometimes, and sometimes crashes in the middle of things for no reason.
3. Boxee crashes on Pandora (turning off the visualizations rectifies this).
4. Netflix is hosed... It doubles videos in its listing, doesn't seem to have a sort order, and episode listings are random after the first few. Is it just me, or are there items missing from the list as well?
5. Boxee crashes when looking at pictures.
6. Changing the background does nothing? Clicking on an image just takes you back with no action performed.
7. Pressing the back button from the deep settings pages (i.e. general) does not work. The only way I figured how to go back without selecting one of the options on the side is to press "info."
7. An MCE remote can be used for navigating, but the play, pause, fast forward, rewind controls don't work (Eventghost can be used to rectify).
Now for some "feature enhancements":
1. I have a six year old who watches this, and the stuff that comes through on the featured list on the home page can be EXTREMELY bad... I'd like to either have the option to turn it off, or I need a way to filter it.
2. Everyone knows about the music bugs, so I don't even think I need to mention it.
Ok, now don't get all defensive and think I'm Boxee bashing. As I previously stated, this interface is the best in its class. I'm just pointing out the major PITAs that I have found so far in the hopes they will be fixed and benefit all. I use Boxee as my sole source of entertainment, so its not like I'm not in awe of the product