In its current build, Boxee Beta users are unable to watch mature Hulu content, since Hulu.com requires users to log-in before seeing mature videos. But thanks to a little trickery devised by jaaps, posted on this thread, Boxee users can now watch mature Hulu content with a bit of file editing.
**This is not officially recognized by Boxee, Firefox, or their developers.**
- Ensure Firefox is set-up to accept cookies.
- Visit hulu.com and create a user account.
- View a mature content video (example: 30 Days of Night).
- Close Firefox
Here's the trick: Boxee uses a similar cookie system as Firefox. By "tricking" Boxee into using your firefox cookies, you can now automatically log into your user account on Hulu.com and watch mature content.
Locate your Firefox cookies.sqlite file
- OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[username]/cookies.sqlite
- Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/[username].default/cookies.sqlite
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[username]\cookies.sqlite
- Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\[username]\appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cookies. sqlite
Copy this file and paste your Firefox cookies.sqlite into your Boxee cookie directory. You'll be replacing your old Boxee cookies.sqlite.
- OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/BOXEE/UserData/Profiles/[username]/browser/cookies.sqlite
- Linux: ~/.boxee/Userdata/profiles/[username]/browser/cookies.sqlite
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Boxee\userdata\Profiles\[username]\browser\cookies.sqlite
- Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\[username]\appdata\Roaming\BOXEE\userdata\profiles\[username]\browser\cookies.sqlite
You'll now be able to view mature Hulu content on Boxee! For some shows, i.e., 30 Days of Night, Hulu might warn you that it's unable to show advertisements. But, this warning prompt was also on Firefox, so I don't think it's a consequence of this modification.
Example MA TV Shows:
Moderators are welcome to edit this post.