Want to get best of both the Worlds ?
Yes, its quite easy to install and run Boxee Beta on the top of your desktop running XBMC Live CD.
You need the following:
1. XBMC Live CD ( or XBMC Live installed on your harddisk / pendrive)
2. Internet Connection (to download some packages including Boxee application, you anyways will need this to login into Boxee)
Make sure you have persistence enabled installation of XBMC Live on your pendrive or have XBMC installed on your harddrive, otherwise you will loose all your changes after the system reboot. But you are good if you donít bother to have Boxee permanently installed and just want to try it out.
Follow these Steps to install Boxee:
1. Boot into XBMC Live CD
2. Install gdebi package (this is needed to automatically resolve all the package dependencies and download from the internet).
sudo apt-get install gdebi
3. Install a light weight browser that we will use to download Boxee application from Boxee website (you can ignore step 3 and 4 if you already have Boxee application downloaded from Boxee.tv website).
sudo apt-get install seamonkey
4. Once seamonkey is installed, you can open up Boxee.tv and download the Boxee application specific to your system architecture (32/64)
5. Install Boxee Application (substitute x.y.z below with the appropriate Boxee version number/ complete file name of the deb Boxee package).
sudo gdebi boxee.x.y.z
6. Boxee gets installed to /opt/boxee/ location by default.
7. Change directory to /opt/boxee/ and execute
Thatís it. Enjoy Boxee in itsí new form. Its really cool.
Note: If you are running XBMC from a Live CD, you will loose all your changes that you made above (all packages/ installations will be gone the moment you reboot your system. You will have to either install the XBMC either on your harddisk or pendrive (with persistence enabled). But yes, just to get a taste of Boxee on Linux, executing the above steps will be fine