Running Boxee on a stripped down version of Debian Squeeze (mostly equivalent to Jaunty), and I got my Boxee beta invite.
Cool, I think, I'll be able to check out whats going on with boxee.
Problem 0: When I installed the deb, it grabbed some additional libraries, but when I started the program, it asked for several additional libraries that weren't there. Now, this may be an artifact of minimizing my debian install, but if you need a lib for a program to run, the .deb should list it as a dependency.
Problem 1: I start boxee, it automatically logs me in, but gives NO indication of what its doing, just gives me a mostly empty screen with some clouds and icons in the lower right corner. Can we please get at least a loading bar, if not "connecting to server.... authenticating.... downloading updates...." etc?
Problem 2: The sound I so carefully got working in the Boxee alpha (which I made sure worked before installing the beta) broke immediately upon installing the beta. However, about 30 seconds in the configuration menus, and some well-thought-out and obvious changes later, I rebooted boxee and audio worked. Not ideal, but was easy to fix. Good job, Boxee Devs.
Problem 3: So, I load up boxee and while its scanning media, I decide to check on some of the apps I use. First, Revision3. I load it up and.... pictures aren't loading, can't navigate, can't blindly launch anything... the app is broken. However, it also seemed to break my fragile audio while it was there.
Problem 4: Now, I figure "Ok, well, revision3 had a bit of a weird gui, so lets try something that MUST have been tested in house", so I launched Youtube. I can navigate easily in this one, BUT, as soon as I try to watch a video I get a blank screen, no audio, complains when I hit buttons that it can't control the volume or skip, but the timer is ticking, as if the video was playing.
All in all, as a beta tester, I feel like I jumped back from a solid program, to a pre-release, 10% complete program.
For convenience, before doing any of this, I set up full logging, and have attached the log of this session.
And, to add insult to injury, I can't upload my log. First, it doesn't accept .log files, then the file I renamed to .txt is too big! pastebin is here: http://pastebin.com/f1f54cc2b