Just got an HTPC set up:
Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz
Zotac 9300-D-E mini-ITX motherboard
2GB Corsair DDR2 800
2.5" Samsung 160GB HDD
SilverStone Sugo SG05 case
connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 606 receiver
XBMC Live installed from a flash drive works right out of the box. I set my audio to hdmi and I'm good to go. Problem is - I don't like XBMC Live. I love the ease of use that Boxee affords, and it just works better for me.
Just installed Jaunty Jackalope, ran the update, and I'm not getting any sound at all. Settings in the audio are set to NVIDIA HDMI ALSA.
Installed Boxee, set the output to hdmi (and to default) and of course, still nothing.
Tried the fixes (uninstalling PulseAudio, switching from analog to digital) in the sticky thread, with no luck.
I'm a Windows guy, so I guess I should ask first if doing the Update should've installed the sound drivers. And if not, how can I tell if they're installed properly?
Second, what is XBMC Live using that works out of the box to get sound (as this may point to why I don't have sound at all).
- OK I reinstalled and started from scratch
- did a software update of everything that was recommended
- installed Nvidia driver 185.xx.xx (the latest ones for Linux)\
- updated ALSA to 1.0.20
- installed Flash plugin.. got video, but no audio
at this point, I have Flash video but no audio, and no system sounds.
- in Alsa mixer, Switches tab - put checkboxes by IEC958 Default PCM and IEC958 1. That gave me system audio, but no Flash audio yet.
I then stumbled on Keith's holy grail - editing your .asoundrc file with what's in his post.
remember to check DTS and AC3 in Boxee's settings in order to get movies with DTS and AC3 working.